What could be better than two years of free education?

Try to think of something better than two free years of quality education. 

I’ll wait. 

Nothing? 

Huh. Because many students and parents alike at San Luis Obispo High School seem to always go to the conclusion that a four year education is somehow better and will get you further in life.

What will a four year education really get you in though? For one, it will  get you further in debt. The average cost of tuition in California is a little less than ten thousand dollars a year, not including a place to sleep, or food to eat. The average cost of out of state tuition is a little over $25,000, not including room, board, or food. 

Less than eight miles away from SLOHS is the number one ranked junior college in the state. They offer two free consecutive years of education for county high school graduates who attend Cuesta directly after their high school graduation. 

Last year approximately fifty percent of the graduating class went to Cuesta College as their next step. Now, as the SLOHS class of 2020 are now filling out their college applications many will not even think to fill out the Cuesta application. 

“[There are]  a lot of benefits [of going to Cuesta] you have smaller class sizes, two years feee, guaranteed admission into CSUs, great transfer programs, you get to spend some time to figure out what you want to do. It’s a really good transition rather than just going from being home under your parent’s roof to being all on your own,” said SLOHS Cuesta counselor Allison Dexter. 

As someone who is already firm in my decision to continue my education at Cuesta, I am met with many different responses. It’s the age old question of “what are you going to do next year?” that many teachers, parents and friends ask.

I always respond firmly and confidently that I will be attending Cuesta.

Anyone who has been to the school responds happily and praises the school. Anyone who has not gone seems to respond differently, it’s a sort of judgment that cannot be understood unless experienced. It’s a look and the saying of “oh, ok.” then a pause, usually followed by “will you transfer to another school?” seeming so worried about the steps after, hoping to brush my previous statement under the rug. 

Students respond with something like, “oh, I couldn’t do that, I need to get away.”

This is a valid point. Some graduates think they need to “get away” in order to find their own independence and find themselves. This may be true, but many students come back and end up at Cuesta anyways. Why not just skip the middleman and choose the free education out of the gate.  If you go to another school before attending Cuesta, graduates are no longer eligible for The Promise. 

There seems to be no answer smarter than two years of free education. Cuesta College is the best option for anyone graduating  from SLO County.