Fair Fun: What Animal Do You Show?

Summer is filled with exciting festivals, concerts, exotic trips around the world, and the Mid State Fair.

Students at San Luis Obispo High School are especially looking forward to this upcoming fair season, and whether it be showing chickens, pigs, sheep or cows, SLOHS students have a lot to show off.   

“I show a market steer and replacement heifer. The market steer is a market animal for meat production and the replacement heifer is used for breeding purposes. I think showing has definitely helped me figure out what I wanted to do when I am older because it drives a passion in you that you will never lose. I want to become a pharmaceutical sales representative for livestock because it combines both medicine and sales. Showing has allowed me to gain interest in both those agriculture careers,” said SLOHS graduate Lauren Erickson.

The fair gives students an opportunity to gain knowledge on what they might want to pursue later in life. Although there is a stigma around the country vibe of the fair and the redneck experience this festival allows people of all ages to see what it is like to raise and sell a farm animal. As well as being a great asset to college applications, the fair helps SLOHS student prepare for their next steps in life.

“I’ve showed a goat and I’m showing a steer this year. I chose to show because it’s a great experience even though it’s a lot of responsibility and I get to learn about livestock production and how it sustains the agricultural industry” said Senior Rylie O’Connor.