Girls Golf Journey To CIF

It is no small feat to qualify for CIF in any sport, and that’s exactly what San Luis Obispo High School’s girls golf team accomplished. With the help of their attitudes and love for the sport, four girls qualified for the first round of individual CIF. These athletes sophomores Catie Leebrick and Ellery Yasumoto, and seniors Cati Newlon and Angelina Nash, played their first round of CIF last Monday. Yasumoto moved on to the second round of CIF, which is taking place next Monday.

“I am quite nervous being the only one moving on with CIF, but I know I have the support of my team and that makes me feel at ease. Even though I think my chances are slim, I am just happy to play another round of golf on a gorgeous course,” said Yasumoto.

With an overall league record of 6-2 this season and some of their star players coming back again, next year should only bring more victories.

“Being a really young team it is outstanding for us to do so good, and I know next year we will even do better,” said Leebrick.

“I am happy that we had four girls qualify for CIF and I am even more happy I do not have to move on, and play more golf. I am totally grateful and fine being second in the league,” said sophomore varsity golfer Lilah May.

Even though this year the girls golf team did not qualify as a whole, still being able to have four move on to CIF is an accomplishment. With the whole girls golf team and SLOHS behind Ellery Yasumoto, she should be able to take on her next match and be victorious.