Coach and Teacher Adam Basch is Stepping Into His Role as SLOHS’s New Athletic Director

SLOHS Athletic director Adam Basch is too cool for school. Photo courtesy of Basch.

It’s a new school year at San Luis Obispo High School, and with athletics coach Kennedy Meaney leaving her position as athletic director, Cross Country head coach and Special Education teacher Adam Basch has been announced as the new 2023-2024 athletic director.

Basch has been teaching and coaching since 2005, and he started at SLOHS in 2007. During his eighteen years of teaching, he has taught many classes and has been involved in the athletic community by coaching cross country and track and field. 

“I had some amazing experiences with athletics as a student myself.  It seems like a natural part of being an educator to become involved in extracurricular or co-curricular activities. It’s a great way to connect with students and continue the cycle,” said Basch.

As the athletic director Basch will oversee all of the athletic programs at SLOHS and work directly with the teams in order to provide the resources needed for a healthy athletic environment.  

“[Coach Basch] is an effective communicator, responsive and approachable. He jumps right into the fun with our athletes. He has integrity and leads by example for all of our coaches and athletes. Above all, he cares about our school, our athletic department, and our student-athletes and has immense Tiger pride!” said Meaney. 

Because of this role, Basch will no longer be able to coach the Cross Country and Track and Field teams. That being said, he has left a lasting impression on the athletes he has coached, and this new position will only allow him to support more athletes at SLOHS.

“Basch was my coach for two years for cross and track. He did an amazing job organizing the team and keeping us all safe as we went off campus and he would positively encourage us to ‘do hard things’. I think he will be one of the best ADs we have had. He definitely would want the sports to be performing at their best and was great at helping organize the meets,” said cross country athlete and junior Cate Tucker.

Basch has been very successful as a coach, leading his teams to many victories and championships over the years, and in this new role, he can help all teams flourish.

“I want all student-athletes at SLOHS to have a good experience playing sports.  They should be looking forward to practice every day, and finish their season with a sense of satisfaction,” said Basch. 

Expressions is proud to welcome Basch as the new athletic director; he has great things planned for Tiger athletics this year!