Leave Your Troubles Behind and Go Hiking!

Adventure’s out there and right behind SLOHS, and today is sunny! Photo courtesy of sophomore Aria Olsen. 

If students at San Luis Obispo High School are looking for an exercise outlet, they should try hiking!

Its been proven to benefit both physical and mental health, and even spiritual well being. 

Hiking is a good cardio workout which means that it reduces the risk of heart disease, high blood pressure, and certain cancers. It not only burns calories, but those who hike regularly can build their lower body and core strength, increase muscle mass, and manage their weight.

“After a hike, I always notice that I’m calmer and feel more relaxed; it’s just great to get out all my anger and pent-up feelings on the trail. I’ve also noticed that my physical stamina has improved and I don’t have aversions to certain types of exercise,” said sophomore Aria Olsen.

Being outdoors and enjoying scenic views creates better moods, better confidence, more relaxation, and an overall zen. Research by Stanford University has even proven that hiking can reduce depression and anxiety due to the heightened levels of dopamine produced from being in nature.

Whilst hiking can be a great opportunity for self-discovery, hiking can also be done with a partner or a group. Not only is it more fun to hike with a partner, it can also strengthen one’s relationship. 

“Hiking makes you appreciate the beauty of the area we live in, and we can realize just how lucky we are to live in San Luis Obispo. For those of us who’ve hiked our whole lives, the trails hold some of our fondest memories that we relive every time we’ve hiked them,” said Olsen.

For students looking for local trails, Expressions recommends the Montana de Oro trail in Los Osos (4.6 miles) and the Reservoir Canyon trail in San Luis Obispo (5.35 miles). Bishop’s Peak, Madonna Mountain, and Cerro San Luis are other noteworthy trails in the area. 

Hiking allows one to unplug from society and technology, and embrace the beauty of nature, all while getting a good exercise in! Try it, Tigers! 

For those looking for more information, check out slocal.com for more trails! 

Sources: piedmont.org, nps.gov, 8fit.com, slocal.com