What Does the Mock Trial Club Do?

Mock Trial Club is a standing tradition at SLOHS. Photo Illustration courtesy of Vyolet Burrus.

While they’re not well known at the school, the San Luis Obispo High School mock trial team has certainly garnered a reputation for their skill, and this year they’re going to get far in the competition.

Expressions interviewed a few members of the team to learn more about their experience in mock trial as well as their goals for this year.

Expressions: How long have you been involved in mock trial, and why did you join?

Freshman Graham Teitge: I was involved last year in eighth grade, but it’s my first year at the high school. [I joined] because it seemed fun and I like law related things.

Sophomore Riley O’Conner: This will be my fourth year in mock trial, and I got into it because my parents thought I would like it. I joined in seventh grade and I loved it, I’ve been doing it ever since.

Junior Aashna Kishore: This is my second year, actually. I wanted to do it in middle school, but I just never got around to doing it with COVID and everything. I joined because my mom is a lawyer and during COVID she started working from home, so I got to experience everything she was doing. 

Expressions: What is your role in mock trial, and what do you do?

Teitge: I’m a prosecution attorney, so I’m trying to prove [the defendant is guilty].

O’Conner: I’m a prosecuting attorney this year. I’m trying to get the person accused into jail, and I’m reviewing all of the witness statements to try to apply an argument to say: this is why this person should be in jail.

Kishore: I’m a pre-trial attorney. You’re basically arguing on whether a certain event that happened in the case is constitutional or not. They argue before the case and depending on the outcome of their trial, certain pieces of evidence can get included or excluded from the case. 

Expressions: What is the best thing about participating in mock trial?

Teitge: I think it’s fun and it’s good team building, I feel like it’s also like a fun competitive activity, [that isn’t a sport].

O’Conner: For me, it’s really the experience. It’s a really good view into the legal system, and because of that, I do want to pursue a career in law, because I’ve had such a positive experience in mock trial.

Kishore: I like to argue, so being able to be a part of something that might benefit me in a future career is really cool.

Expressions: What do you hope to accomplish or gain from being in mock trial?

Teitge: This year I’m doing it just for fun, to get it going. 

O’Conner: I want to improve my public speaking skills and my confidence whenever I’m around people I don’t know. 

Kishore: This year specifically, I want to be able to go to the state [competition] as a team, and be able to advance and do even better than last year. There’s also some personal goals like getting awards, but I want to be able to win something and gain some sort of recognition.

Mock trial is great for students who want to be in law, or even those who want to get better at public speaking. Those interested in mock trial should try out for the team next year! Contact [email protected] for more information.