Stay Mentally Healthy Through a Global Pandemic

COVID-19 is affecting nearly all walks of life. The uncertainty of this pandemic is causing a widespread amount of mental health problems, ranging from insomnia to anxiety. San Luis Obispo High School students are taking the extra step to make sure their mental health is not going unnoticed. 

“The most important thing for mental health during this weird time is to stay active. It is easy to become a zombie when you feel like you have no purpose, but exercising regularly gives you energy and it boosts your mood,” said freshman May Ritter.

Exercising releases endorphins, maintaining a positive mood. Taking a run or going on a hike has the possibility of working wonders to maintain your mental health. While these seem like fun activities to do while you are in quarantine, it may seem overwhelming.

Social media has been a huge factor in this pandemic. Influencers on the internet have created “glow up” workouts to do while in quarantine. To some, this increases anxiety for some that already have mental health struggles. There are still many things you can do to help yourself and others around you if you don’t feel like working out.

“To stay mentally healthy during quarantine, I would recommend going outdoors every once in a while, doing something creative, like cooking or painting, and limiting how much time is spent on electronics,” said junior Bella Osgood.

Students such as Osgood have taken advantage of social distancing by maintaining her sleep schedule and making sure to keep in touch with friends. Taking a walk and experiencing nature with your family while maintaining social distancing can be a huge mood lifter. 

One of the most critical parts of maintaining your mental health through uncertain times is often looked over. Checking your thought process around how you are interpreting the pandemic is one of the most important things that you can do for yourself.

Doing a mental health check in, whether that’s on paper or in your head, can help you understand your own thought process and how to change your negative thoughts. By focusing on what you can control and what you cannot control is so important. The news and social media often highlight the worst about the coronavirus. By checking your thought process and asking yourself, “what can I control and what is out of my control?” will eliminate stress.

“I FaceTime or Zoom with my friends semi-regularly to keep in touch. I think talking real time (as opposed to texting or DMing) is a great way to connect with friends face to face during this social distancing period,” said Osgood.

Checking in on friends and spending time with them digitally can help you maintain your friendship, regardless of social distancing. 

Right now, no one is alone in this worldwide pandemic. We’re all in this together. The best thing you can do for yourself is check your thought process and take time to understand what works best for your mental health is not only important right now, but for the rest of your life.