“RENT” Announced as This Year’s Big SLOHS Drama Show

San Luis Obispo High School Drama students rejoiced as SLOHS administration announced this year’s show: “RENT.” The decision was made on Wednesday morning during a meeting with Vice Principal Julie Mamo, Drama Club presidents and juniors Maggie Zuniga and Evan Clausen, and Adviser and English teacher Noelle Eben.

This is good news for theatre enthusiasts at SLOHS, as they had previously been told that the 2018-19 Drama year would be heavily “development-oriented,” meaning that there would be no productions.

“It was looking like we wouldn’t be doing much this year,” said drama co-president Maggie Zuniga. “Everyone was just so busy.”

However, after meeting several times with various staff members, including principal Leslie O’Connor, this year’s drama leadership team has come to a solution that will allow the drama program to put on a musical this spring.

“We’re excited to finally announce that we will be doing “Rent” this year,” said Mamo. “We think it’s going to be a great year and we can’t wait to get the ball rolling.”

“RENT”, a loose take on Giacomo Puccini’s “La Boheme,”is one of the longest running musicals to have played on Broadway. Perfect for our single-show year, the musical features many ensemble opportunities and strong moral themes, as well as more LGBTQ+ representation that most shows in the past.

The show is known for having tough vocals, but anyone who is interested in singing is encouraged to try out.

Actor and band auditions will be in January and shows will run throughout the month of April,  so “RENT” is the perfect way for anyone interested in theatre to get involved for this year.