Eben is the New English and Theatre Teacher at SLOHS

San Luis Obispo High School has hired theatre and English teacher Noelle Eben. Measure D is bringing great changes to SLOHS including a new theater. With a brand new teacher and a new building coming soon, SLOHS theater has lots to look forward to. 

Expressions had a chance to ask Eben about her thoughts on her first few weeks at her new home. 

Expressions: Did you work at another school prior to this job, or is this your first year teaching?

Theater and English teacher Noelle Eben: This is my first year ever teaching, but I did work at Morro Bay High School for the past two years as their drama director, and then I also did my credential program through Cal Poly, and I student-taught at Morro Bay all of last year.

Expressions: Did you feel welcomed when you first came to SLOHS, or slightly intimidated?

Eben: Both. I felt welcomed by all of the teachers, they were really kind to me and willing to help with whatever I needed. However, it was also intimidating because SLOHS had such high expectations and such a good reputation, so you want to be able to live up to that. It was a little bit daunting at first.

Expressions: Are you accustomed to your new environment?

Eben: For the most part, I feel like I have figured it out.

Expressions: Is it hard to teach when there is so much construction in your surroundings? 

Eben: That really hasn’t affected me much because I am in this main central building. At Morro Bay, we never really had theater for a class anyway, so it hasn’t mattered to me that much.

Expressions: Do you know the majority of the faculty?

Eben: I am definitely still learning names, but I do know a significant part, I’d say. I know the English department and the math department.

Expressions: Do you enjoy teaching English or theatre more?

Eben: It’s difficult, I enjoy teaching theatre because it can be, like for instance, yesterday in my class, we had a very low-key day, and it was really relaxing to just be in here and just work on getting to know each other more and feel comfortable.