SLOHS Student Volunteer Opportunities: Camp Reach For The Stars

The month of June marks the start of summer and some San Luis Obispo High School students are choosing to start their summer off the right way with volunteering.

Camp Reach for the Stars is a three day camp in Cambria for kids and their families. The kids who attend the camp have in some way been affected by cancer. They are either fighting at the moment or are in remission. It is a chance for them and their families to escape the realities of their life for three days in a safe and supportive environment.

“I had a really great experience, and getting to see that happiness on everyone’s faces was really special,” said freshman Taryn Lonsbrough.

The three-day camp offers to counsel for teens and parents. As well as games, massages, a movie night, silent disco, a carnival put on by the Lions Club, and many more things.  Several of the volunteers are doctors and nurses allowing parents to fully relax and know their child is taken care of and safe.

Camp Reach for the Stars used to be put on by the National Cancer Society until a few years ago when they lost funding. The camp is now funded by donations from the public as well as a local organization Jack’s Helping Hand. Summer of 2019 marks the twenty-fifth anniversary of the camp.

A few SLOHS students were counselors at the camp this last weekend. Including freshmen Alex Melton and Taryn Lonsbrough, juniors Katie Cole and Benjamin Mcconnell, sophomore  Helen Ringley, senior Lily Svetich and many more.

“It was amazing. My experience was very influential because the kids persevere through the hard things in their life and that taught me that I can persevere through anything,” said Melton.

Next summer the camp will be held May 15-17 and volunteers can sign up in February 2020. For more information, you can contact Jessica Malone at [email protected].