SLOHS Students And Staff Are Helping The Homeless Through Art

May 16 is the Empty Bowls Fundraiser at Farmers Market where San Luis Obispo High School students and staff produced ceramic bowls that will be sold to raise funds for the local 40 Prado Homeless Services Center. Once sold, these beautiful handmade bowls will be filled with delicious food donated by a number of local restaurants to benefit this event.

“It gives students a platform to give back to the community. They get to have a part in all steps of the fundraising process from the creation, to planning, to selling,” said Ceramics Teacher/ Empty Bowls Fundraiser Organizer Tawnee Houle.

This event has been run by the past few Ceramics teachers and was continued by Houle on her first year teaching at SLOHS.

“I think that this event, in particular, is great because it gets a lot of different people involved. The students get to create and be a part of a good deed, the community gets to support the students by buying their craft, and 40 Prado gets to use the proceeds for people in need. I like that it is a year-long project that students commit to helping with and they get to be a part of the organization and really take ownership in the product,” said Houle.

This amazing cause can use your support! Come out to farmer’s market on May 16, bring your friends and family, and get a handmade bowl filled with delicious food with your $20 donation! We will be in front of the Cal Poly store on Higuera in between Garden and Chorro. We hope to see a lot of SLOHS students there!