Getting To Know Our SLOHS Lunch Workers

There are many different great adults at San Luis Obispo High School. However, sadly some don’t get the attention they deserve. A group of people that nobody hears much about are the lunch workers. That’s why Expressions sat down with cafeteria lead Allison Eaton to learn more and finally give these amazing people the spotlight they deserve.

Expressions: Do you enjoy your job here at SLOHS?

Cafeteria lead Allison Eaton: This is the best job I’ve ever had. It’s so much fun. My crew is amazing, and they’re just wonderful people. I love seeing the kids every day and I feel like when I see them off campus, it’s like these are my kids. If I see them on the street after they graduate I’m like, that’s my kid. I have great pride in my job and the people I work with, and the people I work for, the students.

Expressions: How long have you worked here?

Eaton: Since 2001. I started in food service at Los Osos Middle School, then I moved up to be the district cook, then I became the kitchen manager here in 2011. I have been at this site for eight years.

Expressions: What does your day look like?

Eaton: I arrive at six and I prepare all the breakfast foods, we make everything in the house. We do get our pastries for example from Edna’s bakery. We try to get everything local. Then, I cashier breakfast before school, then I get things started for lunch then my crew comes in at nine and we all work together to get lunch ready for lunch service then we cashier lunch. We clean up at the end of the day and I do the ordering and everything and maintain all the equipment and try to connect with you guys (the students). It’s just the best job.

Expressions: What made you want to become a lunch worker?

Eaton: I’ve always been interested in food service. I majored in food product development at California Polytechnic State University and I graduated with a bachelor science degree in 1989. When I was a student, I worked at the Vista Grande cafeteria. My first real job after graduation was for United Airlines and I was a buyer for the flight kitchens in San Francisco. I just love to cook so this was just a natural fit.