A Midsummer Night’s Dream Coming To SLOHS

At San Luis Obispo High School, the drama department produces a multitude of productions throughout the year. The Iambic Pentameter Club is putting on a production of “A Midsummer’s Night Dream”.

“The play is a Shakespearean comedy, which means it’s driven by the conflicting motives of the characters and the misunderstandings that get them all in trouble. In “Midsummer’s”, a fairy’s attempt to correct a love triangle only makes the situation worse,” said junior assistant director Lucy Davis.

“A Midsummer’s Night Dream” is being directed by senior Kaylee Beardsley and Davis.

“I advise the director with any decisions she makes regarding the production of the play. I do pretty much whatever Kaylee wants me to do, whether that’s creating posters, filling in for absent actors, or finding costumes,” said Davis.

Students probably think about unrelatable characters and a boring plot when they hear Shakespeare, however, “A Midsummer’s Night Dream” is full of exciting characters and an interesting storyline.

“I play Robin Goodfellow, also known as Puck. He is a fairy who is very mischievous, he is known for bringing good luck, but he kind of gets into other people’s business and he kinda is the catalyst for everything that goes on in the play,” said senior Lane Stephens.

“I am Hippolyta, she’s the trophy wife to Theseus!” said senior Ella Livingston.

This play has exciting things in store for its audience members.

“I am really excited to see Kaylee’s take on ‘a Midsummer’s Night Dream’ and how awesome she’ll do at directing it,” said Livingston.

“I’m excited about how funny this play is going to be. It’s already cleverly written, but our actors will really bring it to life and create humor through their personal interpretations of the characters and situations,” said Davis.

This lighthearted, fun comedy will be showing in the SLOHS theater January 25, 26, 31 and February 1 and 2.