Artist Spotlight: Dasha Novotny

San Luis Obispo High School has many musically talented students walking through our halls. One of these students happens to be freshman Dasha Novotny, a singer songwriter who has been performing for about 12 years. For fans of alternative-pop, Novotny’s music is definitely worthy.  Expressions talked to Novotny about her experience with performing and plan for the future as a recording artist.

Expressions: When did you start performing?

Freshman Dasha Novotny: “I have been in dance shows since I was two, and I have been dancing for 11 years, but musical performances started in sixth grade.”

Expressions: What instruments do you play?

Novotny: “I play piano, guitar, and I sing.”

Expressions: What is the inspiration for your music?

Novotny: “At first I was inspired by Taylor Swift, and then I found Avril Lavigne and many other indie artists, and the really inspired me to write their own songs.”

Expressions: What is your favorite performance memory?

Novotny: “I played in a 1000 seat amphitheater in Ojai, and I opened for a band called Lissi and remember afterwards I came out and there was like, a line of 50 people waiting for my autograph, and it was the greatest thing ever.”

Expressions: What are your plans for the future regarding your music career?

Novotny: “I am in conversation with lots of producers right now who are interested, and my dad, being my manager; he’s like, setting up meetings and stuff,  so I don’t know if I’m going to stay in high school next year. It depends what happens.”