What Do SLOHS Students Think of Tutorial After Almost A Year of Its Implementation?

The portal awaits Tigers. Photo courtesy of Health and Sports Editor Vyolet Burrus.

This year, San Luis Obispo High School has implemented a new schedule with a later start time, a later release, and a new tutorial period on Mondays. Almost a year into the new schedule, students are wondering if tutorial is actually helpful. 

SLOHS has tutorial once a week, every Monday for 38 minutes; this time shortens the normal five periods even more so than the normal Monday late start. 

Some students use this time to get extra help in classes, make up assignments, or attend the weekly guest speaker. 

“Sometimes it can seem kind of unnecessary when I don’t have any work to do, but for the most part I think it’s just another period to do work,” said freshman Erin Rittger.

Most students at SLOHS have in fact found that tutorial is a great time for extra studying and one-on-one help from a teacher who may otherwise be busy during the regular period. 

“I like being able to get help in a time that is allotted for that purpose rather than having to get up early or miss a lunch period to get help,” said sophomore Annika Milter.

Tutorial also provides an opportunity each Monday to learn something new by going to the weekly guest speaker. This year, SLOHS has had many different guests who’ve educated the students on their professions, and how they got to where they are today. 

While some students enjoy the guest speakers and have gained new passions from Monday tutorials, others wish that there were more opportunities available to them.

“Tutorial could be more fun by instead of only having guest speakers, [we had] things like games set up in the theater or more hands-on things or science labs instead of just listening to someone or going to classes where you don’t have anything to do,” said freshman Hayley Nicoletti.

Tutorial has a lot of potential to help students, and already students have greatly benefited from it. Like all things however, it does need improvement for the years to come. 

With more options and activities to choose from, students who don’t need help in classes will be able to benefit from this tutorial period even more. 

From making up tests and studying to finding passions, tutorial is in fact helping students. The question begs to answer however, if students aren’t gaining from tutorial, what are they doing wrong?