Cuesta May Be a Safe Option for SLOHS Seniors

In light of recent events with COVID-19, colleges and school districts remained locked down throughout the rest of the 2019-2020 year.

Whether or not schools will open back this fall is still up in the air.

Because of this, seniors have had a tougher decision to make when it comes to colleges.

Take a year off due to COVID and take some Cuesta College classes, or take a gamble and possibly also miss out on the freshman college experience as well as having to miss out on senior spring?

California State Universities have already announced that they will be closed for the Fall, and UCs and private schools will most likely follow suit due to state pressure.

Many seniors have decided to opt for the safe decision, and take a year off from the stress of being a first year freshman. 

“I’m definitely excited to go to Chapman, and I’m really happy with the opportunity to study film at one of my dream schools. However, I definitely understand kids wanting to not go to their colleges in the fall, and pay for classes when they could just take the same courses, which are easier, online at Cuesta.” explained 2020 graduate Bella Gerscehner.

Online courses at universities have become a very controversial topic in recent news. The idea of paying a large amount of money to a university just to take a class and not attend the actual campus is something that a lot of students weren’t happy with when they were forced to return home from their colleges.

“I think going to Cuesta is a great idea in light of everything that happened. I’ve had a lot of stress trying to pick a college and it has really been something that has been a dark cloud in my life for a while. I think that while this sucks that our future is being affected by a factor out of control, and it makes me sad, I think it will actually turn out to be a blessing in disguise for our grade, especially since so many of us don’t know what we want to do yet.” said 2020 graduate Jahan Ramezani.

Considering the limited options due to COVID-19, Cuesta may turn out to be the best option for even students accepted to top colleges.