SLOHS FFA is Adapting to COVID-19 Pandemic

Due to state-wide shelter at home ordinances and suggested quarantine, the San Luis Obispo High School farm, which houses four species of livestock, has had to make some changes in terms of daily routines in order to ensure the health and safety of livestock and their owners. 

For the students who raise livestock animals at SLOHS for the California Mid State Fair, staying at home all day is not an option. Animals need to be fed twice daily, cleaned, and cared for in order to guarantee their best health. That is why FFA advisers Anna Bates and Jodi Evans devised a schedule in order to comply with social distancing regulations to help prevent the spread of the virus. 

“Quarantine has definitely affected everyone’s daily routine at the farm. We can no longer come and go as we please,” said sophomore Kea Gildersleeve who shows pigs. 

There are upwards of 45 animals housed at the farm, and there can be no more than ten students in there at a time (not including family members, although it is advised that only students enter). The schedules are split into individual species: pigs, cattle, and sheep and goats (grouped together since they make up the smallest percentage of animals at the farm). 

“We have to be sending a better social distancing message if you want the farm to remain open,” said Evans to the beef group.

The advisers are emphasizing that students socialize with the animals and not each other. Extra precautions are also being taken such as requiring hand sanitizer, gloves, and bleach baths for boots.

The requirements, since recently implemented, definitely has thrown some exhibitors through a loop. There are only three hours per day  allocated to each beef and sheep exhibitor and two hours per day assigned to students showing pigs. While this may seem like an adequate amount of time, in the eyes of exhibitors it might not be enough. 

For example, for a student showing a heifer, they would have an hour in the morning to feed, but that’s it. If they need to clean the pen or bathe their animal, they have to come back a few hours later to their next allotted time. 

“I’m not pleased, but [this schedule] had to be done,” said super senior exhibitor and SLOHS alumni Stella Boller.

These are unprecedented times for everyone worldwide, and in order to safeguard our health, and the health of those around us, it is important to listen to all recommendations being reported by higher officials. That is why the SLOHS Farm is taking every precaution necessary for the students’ and animals’ sake.