Is Summer School At SLOHS Worth It?

San Luis Obispo High School offers classes over summer for students who want to get ahead or retake a class. The classes are held at Laguna Middle School from eight to one all throughout summer. SLOHS offers classes such as math, English, history, etc.. These classes are taught by teachers on the SLOHS campus such as Spanish teacher Leif Hanson, math teacher Steven Arata, and English teacher Craig Stewart. Students can no longer sign up for classes unless they have failed a class this trimester. If students have failed a class, then they can sign up to retake the class on PowerSchool or talk to their counselors.

Summer school allows students to work at their own pace and spend more time on the subject they are learning without the distraction of schoolwork from other classes. Summer school helps students who need to retake classes do so. In the following school year, they can be where they should be academically. Not only are these students able to get ahead and/or catch up, but they are also ultimately slimming down the amount of schoolwork they have during the school year.

“I took a class over summer, It was super easy taking the class. If I were to take them during the school year, it would have been a lot harder. I felt more comfortable when the school year started because I knew I had the class I took over summer out of the way,” said freshman Fiona Stevens.

Some students can argue that summer is supposed to be a time to enjoy yourself without the stress of schoolwork. Yes, summer is a time to relax, but it’s helpful to keep your brain active during the summer, so in the next school year the amount of work will be less of a shock/struggle. All students should consider the option of summer school because it will make their school year a lot less stressful. It’s not fun taking classes over summer, but it’s beneficial academically and ultimately worth it in the end.