55 Years Of George, John, Paul, And Ringo In America

Almost 55 years ago in 1964, the Liverpool-originated band The Beatles came to America. Their first performance took place on “The Ed Sullivan Show” in New York, New York. Almost 75 million Americans watched George Harrison, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, and Ringo Starr perform, kickstarting their musical fame outside of England. Today, the students at San Luis Obispo High School still enjoy The Beatles’ music. Expressions interviewed senior Kaylee Beardsley and sophomore Carmen Silver regarding their opinion of The Beatles’ significance 55 years later in America.

“I think a lot of people are listening to The Beatles, now, again, because trends always do that thing where they cycle back through… they’re always relevant. Our generation is kinda similar to the generation of the teenagers of the 1960s and 1970s in the sense that we’re so against today’s political situation and I think The Beatles preach a lot to that,” said Beardsley.

Beardsley is among the students who appreciate one of the most influential bands in history. With the alike political circumstances of 2019 and the 1960s and their music, The Beatles is still very relevant.

“The Beatles have so much different music about so many different things, about war, peace, love, and hurt, and all of those are still really able to resonate with the young and the old. I remember being a little kid and my parents playing me ‘Abbey Road’ and ‘The Magical Mystery Tour’. They were immediately my favorite band, I was obsessed. They really struck a chord with me. Something about The Beatles is irreplaceable,” said Silver.

Various students at SLOHS have also been grown up with The Beatles, which makes them popular among teenagers. Even after the breakup of the Fab Four and the deaths of John Lennon and George Harrison, the band’s music is still popular among the students at SLOHS and throughout the youth in America today.