Winter Sports Tryouts

Next week, San Luis Obispo High School winter sports tryouts are occurring. All grade levels are welcome to participate in these sports to help lead our winter sports teams to victory. Expressions went out and asked student-athletes their thoughts on winter sports.

“You can find the date, time and place of the tryouts on the SLOHS website under athletics. You must completely fill out the athletic packet, which can additionally be found on the SLOHS website. It is also necessary for you to come prepared with a parent signature, and a physical,” said Athletic Director Jeff Brandow.

Expressions: What grade are you in and what winter sport do you play?

Senior Olivia Ortiz: I am a senior. This will be my fourth year playing on the varsity girls soccer team.

Junior Carson Leedom: This is my junior year. I have been playing on the varsity boys basketball team since my freshman year.

Expressions: What are you most looking forward to this season?

Ortiz: I am looking forward to a great winning streak like we have had the past three years, and also hopefully taking home the trophy for CIF central.

Leedom: I am looking forward to playing with a new group of teammates, winning our league, and making a run in the CIF playoffs.

Expressions: What is your favorite part of winter sports?

Brandow: I like that all of the sports are team sports, the athletes form more of a community and become closer.

Ortiz: My favorite part of winter sports is honestly the cold weather and playing under the lights. There is a feeling that comes around when winter is here that I love because it is time for soccer season to start.

Leedom: I like winter sports because it seems like that is when most people are interested in watching indoor sports. When we have a good crowd at the games, the energy, the feeling, there is nothing like it. It is indescribable.

Expressions: What do you dislike about winter sports?

Brandow: The timing of winter sports is very challenging. The winter sports team seasons fall over Thanksgiving and winter break, which is a constant struggle for students to be involved in family events.

Ortiz: The only thing that I dislike about winter sports is that sometimes our team has to show up late to the Mission basketball games and miss the action.

Leedom: I don’t like winter sports because it conflicts with a number of family holidays. Another thing I dislike is the difficulty of trying to schedule my classes and homework with my practices, travel, and games.