Is Caffeine Addiction a Problem at SLOHS?

Every morning, some San Luis Obispo High School students are commonly seen walking to class with a white Starbucks cup, or sitting in first period with a thermos of some caffeinated beverage sitting on the corner of their desk. While many scorn those of us who religiously consume coffee as black as our souls on a daily basis, we should look to the statistics in order to form a more intelligent opinion.

According to healthreasearchfunding.org:

• It’s believed that some 3 out of 4 regular caffeine users are actually addicted to the substance.
  • 54 percent of Americans over the age of 18 consume caffeine on a daily basis.
  • Teenagers and young adults consume approximately 100 mg of caffeine daily.

According to msnbc.com:

• Coffee apparently contains some antioxidants, polyphenols and other chemicals that are beneficial for the body.  Coffee can also help people stay alert for studying, driving and other activities.  Also, by speeding up the oxidation rate, coffee can help a person to remain balanced emotionally.

According to aarp.org:

• Drinking coffee may help reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s and dementia.
  • Coffee cuts suicide risk. A 2013 study by Harvard’s School of Public Health found that those who drank two to three cups of coffee a day cut their suicide risk by 45 percent, possibly because caffeine’s stimulant effect helps boost people’s moods.
  • People who consume coffee have been proven to live longer lives.
  • Regular consumption of coffee helps protect against a number of cancers. 
  • Coffee drinkers have a reduced risk of type two diabetes.

“I don’t care what the statistics are, I’m still drinking coffee,” said senior Zander Rolph. This has been a public service announcement, and I encourage us to all come together and end the coffee roast.