Hola Tigres! Welcome the New AP Spanish Lang. Teacher Eva Garcia-Gonzales!

Twins! AP Spanish lang. Spanish teacher Eva Garcia (left) and ASL teacher Kristen Nusbaum (right) match for combined school spirit. Photo courtesy of senior Asia Jade Hagans.

It’s been two weeks into the first trimester at San Luis Obispo High School and AP classes are already kicking off with a bang.

Expressions decided to get a little personal with the new AP Spanish Lang teacher Eva Garcia!

Expressions: What inspired you to become a teacher? Why did you choose to teach at San Luis Obispo High School? 

Spanish Teacher Eva Garcia: Growing up in Spain, my family didn’t have much.  Public education was what gave me and both my siblings opportunities for an easier future, so teaching in public schools has always been my way to pay it forward. San Luis Obispo is where I now live and I like to work in 

my community.  

Expressions: Do you enjoy teaching at San Luis Obispo High School?

Garcia: I’m very happy to be back in the classroom and teaching, [I am] enjoying it very much.

Expressions: What do you like about AP Spanish Lang? What benefit do you want it to have on your students?

Garcia: I love the curriculum. It is not only rigorous but all the topics it develops are very relevant for life today, and I hope I can make them  interesting for my students.  There is also the cultural component that I think is very interesting. Living in different cities and countries and meeting people from different cultures have been the most enriching experiences of my life.  I hope that introducing my students to the cultures of different Spanish speaking countries will ignite their curiosity and make them want to expand their horizons. Also, I want students to be proud and to embrace being bilingual, it is pretty amazing to speak more than one language

Expressions: What do you like to do after school or on your days off?

Garcia: I love to read (both fiction and non-fiction) and I love to talk about what I read with friends. I also love to go out bird watching… I go out and watch, photograph and identify birds.  My year count of species so far is 226 and I am hoping to get to three-hundred by December 31.  I am also working really hard to identify birds just by their call.

Expressions: Any words of wisdom for SLOHS Tigers?

Garcia: Be curious and give it your best!

Bienvenida señora Garcia! Adios, Tigers!