What really happens at the Cross Country Bequeathal Hike?

Photo Courtesy of freshman Leila Johnson

At the beginning of every Cross Country season, the San Luis Obispo High School’s girls team does an annual bequeathal hike up Madonna Mountain. 

Sacred items are passed down throughout the years, some dating all the way back to the 1970’s. Some of these items include the conch (shell) and the zorb (bottom of a traffic cone.) Other things are passed down as well such as t-shirts and lucky jewelry. 

One of the most important things that is passed down are roles, such as the enforcer (someone who makes sure we are in correct formation during runs), the jumper, the core queen, and the bringer of light. 

This year’s hike was held on August 12 at around 6:30 p.m. 

Expressions interviewed runners on the team on how they felt about the hike. 

Expressions: When you first heard of the Bequeathal hike, what did you think about it? 

Freshman Regan James:  When I heard of the Bequeathal hike I had many different thoughts about it. Now since I have actually experienced the hike I find it a great team bonding experience that all XC athletes should attend!

Expressions: When you were “bequeathed ” your item, how did it make you feel, and what was your item? 

Sophomore Faith Hartford: Receiving an item made me feel good because it came from Alumni Coco Steel, someone that I really like and look up to. I got an elephant pinkie ring.

Senior Kea Gildersleeve: I feel very honored to have earned the position of core queen this year. I am honored to have the opportunity to live up to the legacy. My goal for this year is to get every girl on the team a six pack by the end of the season. I feel very confident they will be able to achieve this goal. 

Expressions: During the plank competition, did you think Kia Gildersleeve was going to become core queen, and how do you think she is doing so far?

James: I had no idea who would win. They were all doing great. Then as the time went by I had a suspicion Kia might win!

Expressions: Do you think this tradition helps the cross-country team become closer, and are you happy that this is a tradition?

Gildersleeve: The bequeathal hike is a great way for the younger girls to feel a part of the team and get acquainted with the older girls. It’s an excellent way to stay connected to the runners who came before us,  by passing down items from as far back as the 1970s! 

James: This year I wasn’t able to attend running camp during the summer and a lot of bonding happened during that time. Being able to do the bequeathal hike gave me a great opportunity for a team bonding experience. 

Expressions: How would you describe your experience of the bequeathal hike to a person who is not part of the cross-country team? 

Gildersleeve: If I had to describe it I’d say it’s a very traditional ceremony in which items considered sacred to the cross country team are passed down among the runners. The conch (shell) and the zorb (bottom of a traffic cone) are two of the most notable physical items which are bequeathed. In addition, many sacred positions are passed down such as enforcer, bringer of light, jumper, and core queen.