Welcome back, McDuff!

Returning to San Luis Obispo High School after teaching here during the 2017-2018 school year is math teacher Mitch McDuff! Expressions set out to get to know one of the newest return additions to SLOHS staff. 

Expressions: Where did you go for school and what past teaching experience do you have?

SLOHS Math teacher Mitch McDuff: This is my 11th year teaching high school mostly in mathematics. I have taught every subject but I have the most experience with Precalculus and Calculus. I received my bachelor’s degree from Fresno State in 2005.

Expressions: You taught at SLOHS the 2017-2018 school year, what did you do in the meantime before coming back to teach?

McDuff: I returned to school full time at Cal Poly to get my master’s in pure mathematics. I spent most of my time studying and doing homework but I did find some time in 2019 to go to Disneyland and Magic Mountain. 

Expressions: What classes do you teach currently, and if you teach multiple math courses, which one is your favorite to teach? 

McDuff: I currently teach Precalculus and Honors Precalculus. I have always liked the subject of Precalculus the most because the material is very complex and challenging but the students are very interested in learning and willing to work hard to understand it.

Expressions: What’s the best and worst part of teaching over zoom at SLOHS/any funny, entertaining stories?

McDuff: No funny stories so far. I do miss in person classes, but it is a good experience to learn and better myself as an online instructor. 

SLOHS is happy to have McDuff back and we look forward to seeing him again in person!