With Zoom comes Zoom Fails

Zoom life has become a new reality over the past months. At San Luis Obispo High School, our students are using it everyday to join classes as a new way of learning. Being at home, how casual is too casual when it comes to sharing your screen? How often do students forget to mute their mic and say something traumatizing? After the first few weeks of online school, Expressions found some awkward moments that have happened over Zoom to our SLOHS students.  

“I was watching a movie during Spanish, and I forgot to mute my microphone again when I turned the movie back on after talking. It was super loud and my entire class heard it,” said junior Noah Clausen.

The movie he was watching was “Harry Potter”; good choice. 

On the other hand, sometimes students (or teachers!) forget to unmute themselves to speak.

“I was talking to one of my classes about how peculiar teaching on Zoom is because all of your students are muted.  I had been talking for about four minutes, just thinking that no one was listening or responding to me, when finally one of my students unmuted themselves and said, ‘Ms. Hawley? Have you been talking to us? You’ve been on mute this whole time’,” said English teacher Jane Hawley. 

Most have come to realize that internet connectivity is not always reliable and zoom often crashes. 

“As I was logging onto zoom, my internet stopped working, and I had to use my phone hotspot. It didn’t work well so I kept getting kicked out of the meeting room but my teacher didn’t realize and kept asking me questions and when I went to answer, I’d get kicked out,” said senior Sasha Sheridan. 

With students’ entire school life being virtual, it’s important to bring some humor and enjoyment to the otherwise dreadful zoom meetings we find ourselves in on a daily basis. 

Got a good SLOHS Zoom story? email it to [email protected] with the subject line “Zoom Story”.