Girl’s Soccer Defeated in First Game of CIF Playoffs

Last Wednesday, San Luis Obispo High School’s girls varsity soccer team took a trip to Fresno to face the Tigers at Edison High School in the first game of the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) Playoffs. Our Tigers were seeded tenth and the opposing Tigers were seventh out of 16 teams. The girls were excited and expected a victorious outcome. Unfortunately, their hopes were let down as they lost to Edison, 3-4 in overtime. 

“I was super sad and annoyed about the game but overall super grateful for the amazing team I got to play on,” said freshman Grace Mensah. 

Girls soccer was coming off of another successful season, beating the Arroyo Grande Eagles in their final league game to clutch their fifth league title in a row. This win was a good start to prepare them for the competition they would face in CIF. However, the match they got was a huge throw off. 

The Tigers got on the board with a goal from Mensah to lead the game 1-0. Mensah scored another goal to bring the game to 2-0. With less than eight final minutes of the game remaining, Edison was awarded two penalty kicks from fouls in the 18 yard box, tying the score 2-2 and sending the game into overtime. 

“The PKs were horrible calls and the referees were absolute trash,” said Mensah. 

The Edison Tigers were given another penalty kick in overtime play to take the lead 3-2. With another goal by both teams, our Tigers were defeated 3-4 in an unfavorable match. There was a wave of emotions; from sadness to shock to anger from the outcome of the game. 

After winning the Mountain League CIF D1 championship last season, the girls had hoped to move on and compete much further this season. 

Expressions is very proud of the work and accomplishments the team achieved this year and looks forward to their success next winter.