Members Of SLOHS Band Get Accepted Into Prestigious Drum Corps

A number of San Luis Obispo High School students in band auditioned for local junior drum corps. Many of our talented classmates got into these prestigious corps and are looking forward to a very busy and rewarding summer touring the country and performing in international open class DCI competitions. The SLOHS students who are members of junior drum corps range from junior Jade Norton in the Riverside-based “The Watchmen” to seniors Christian Cueto and Sander Baxley in Pacific Crest Drum Corp based in Diamond Bar, California.  Expressions wanted to interview one of these amazing students to learn more about their experiences in the auditioning process and their passion for honing their musical skills.

Expressions: What instrument do you play and what is your position in the drum core?

Junior co-drum Major Jade Norton: I play bass clarinet and clarinet in concert season, but I am the drum major for an open class Corp called “The Watchmen”.

Expressions: What is a drum core?

Norton: A drum corp is basically a competitive/professional marching band. It is physically and mentally strenuous. For instance, the top corps go on a 4-mile jog just for their warm-up, which gives you an idea of the level of intensity it takes to join a corp. Also, a lot of the staff have military experience, which explains why drum corps have such high standards for their membership.

Expressions: What was the audition/application process like?

Norton: The audition process was very stressful because I was one of the youngest applicants and the people I was competing against were college level marchers/players. We had to conduct the ensemble, and we were tested on how well they responded to us.

Expressions: What inspired you to try out for your specific core?

Norton: I was inspired by Noah Galambos who was the previous drum major for both Watchmen and the SLOHS Band, and I always look to him as a path that I can follow because he is such a talented, intelligent, and compassionate person.

Expressions: What is your favorite drum core?

Norton: My favorite drum corp has to be the Boston Crusaders, mostly because I’m from Boston, but partly because they are just an incredible ensemble made up of the best of the best.

Expressions: Is there anything else that SLOHS students should know about our band or drum cores in general?

Norton: Don’t assume that because a drum Corp encompasses instruments and marching that it isn’t taken as seriously as a sport because I wish people knew the level of intensity it takes to be a successful corp. There is a major contrast in comparing high school level marchers to corp level marchers, and I wish more people were exposed to that, and that they wouldn’t make assumptions based on their general knowledge of the subject.