MLB Free Agents Finally Sign

With the MLB (Major League Baseball) entering their preseason games on February 22, San Luis Obispo High School students are becoming anxious as time is running out for big name free agents such as Dallas Keuchel, Bryce Harper, and Craig Kimbrel to sign with a team and get their season going. Consequently, you may notice one of the most crucial names missing from this list.

On February 19, Manny Machado, the former third baseman and shortstop for the Baltimore Orioles and Los Angeles Dodgers, signed a ten year, three hundred million dollar deal with the San Diego Padres, stunning the baseball world.

“I personally can’t believe it,” said freshman Gavin Righetti. “Of all the teams in this great nation you could sign with, why on earth would you choose the San Diego Padres?”

Many believe this to be an ill-advised decision, based on how the Padres have not had a playoff berth since 2006. However, Machado will be inheriting the second largest amount of cash ever given to a free agent in a situation like this.

“This is the perfect decision. Do you even realize how much you can do with three hundred million dollars? Machado is going to do some serious hurt to the city of San Diego with that cash,” said freshman Jared Marlinghaus.

While Machado has signed with the Padres, that still leaves a heap of superstars up for grabs.

Current frontrunners for the next biggest name, Bryce Harper, are the Philadelphia Phillies, New York Yankees, and the San Francisco Giants.

SLOHS students are on edge waiting for the next blockbuster deal.