Elevate your SLO hiking

San Luis Obispo is filled with beautiful land that can be hiked, run, or biked. The county has hikes ranging from steep, difficult mountains with an array of forested areas and serene flowers to flat paths that overlook the coastline of the Pacific Ocean. Expressions reviewed hikes in Montana De Oro, Poly Canyon, and in the backyard of San Luis Obispo High School.

Montana De Oro Bluff Trail:

The bluff trail is one of the many hikes entangled among the scenic area of Montana De Oro. The trail goes along the Pacific coastline, delivering a breathtaking view. Hikers can also sit and enjoy the scenery on the wooden benches placed along the trail. There are multiple access points to secluded beaches that provide great days at the beach without a crowd. The hike is predominately flat and easy to complete, stretching just 2 miles from end to end.

The Tower:

Positioned directly behind SLOHS campus, this hike has multiple trailheads and ways to reach the top.  Junior Kobi Kelly described all the trails and said, “They are very steep and rocky,” but also said, “I got a good view of everything” from the top. The tower is a more difficult experience than most other hikes around SLO. The trails are very hot and open to the sun, but the summit has an excellent view spanning all the way to Avila Beach.

Poly Canyon Swing:

Hidden within the network of trails in Poly Canyon is a little-known about road. This open dirt road leads up to a swing that overlooks the canyon and surrounding area. The hike is longer than the Tower and Bluff trails and gets very steep towards the end. Senior Sam Taus said, “It’s an amazing view, and you can see all the way to Cayucos and Grover.” Like many of the hikes in San Luis Obispo County though, the outlook from the top is spectacular.