What’s the Best Beach Town in SLO?

Students at San Luis Obispo High School are spoiled with multiple beaches within a half hour drive. During the summer, it’s very common to see students taking advantage of this and spending the day at the beach with family or friends. However, everyone seems to have their own favorite beach town. For students new or unfamiliar to the beaches around San Luis Obispo, where’s the best place to start?

“Avila. It’s fun to hang out [there] and also has good shops,” said sophomore Lucy Beck.

With its expansive beach and charming restaurants and shops along Front Street, Avila Beach is one of the most visited beaches in SLO by SLOHS students and tourists alike. It’s also less than a twenty minute drive away from SLO City itself, making it easily accessible for students. 

However, it’s far away from being the only worthwhile beach town in SLO county.

“Morro Bay has dunes there that you can play hide and seek in, and also French Bakery is there. Morro Bay is great,” said sophomore Celeste Rawlings.

Although it’s farther away than Avila (still only a half-hour drive), Morro Bay is one of the more iconic beaches along the Central Coast. Pretty much every student at SLOHS is familiar with the three smokestacks and Morro Rock. But iconic doesn’t necessarily mean ideal.

“Morro Bay is fine, but just kind of boring. Also, why is it never sunny there?” said Beck. 

Pretty much every beach on the Central Coast has something to offer, so most of the time personal convenience is a factor. 

“[I like] Avila just because it’s close to my house,” said sophomore Hollis Dickinson. 

Avila Beach or Morro Bay, and any other SLO beach town like Pismo or Cayucos have something unique to offer.

Whether it’s nice restaurants, scenic views, or great waves, each and every one of them is worth checking out.