Promoting Sustainability While Looking Good:The World of Vintage Clothing 

vintage clothing design – 1

Thrifting is a prominent activity in San Luis Obispo county. Photo Collage Courtesy of Angel Tepepa Garcia.

In March of 2024, vintage clothing store Thrifty Beaches officially opened, becoming an instant success in the San Luis Obispo vintage clothing community, a community that many San Luis Obispo High School students are proudly a part of.

Vintage Clothing has been a stylistic choice for years, and was most prominent in the 70’s and 80’s, but most recently, a resurgence in this fashion style is being seen more and more in the 21st century. A rise in everyday clothing prices and a need for change in how humans treat the Earth. That’s where the sustainable act of thrifting comes in, most commonly done at SLO’s own Goodwill Bins.

“I think thrifting is a fun thing to do with friends and even by yourself. It’s also a great way to develop your own personal style,” said senior Isabella Francis.

It’s through thrifting that a sense of community is created among many like-minded people who also share a similar passion for sustainable living and such a unique fashion. In many places around SLO County, vintage connoisseurs can find themselves inside thrift stores and make those places their social hubs, Another benefit within itself.

“Honestly, Thrifty Beaches is my go to as of recently and it’s such a nice place with such good clothing. I like it so much that I even got a loyalty card there just cause,” said senior Alma Tinoco.

Thrifting allows for many clothes that would otherwise be put to waste in a landfill, to give old clothes a new life cycle. It’s essentially like recycling a wardrobe, and finding good-looking clothes for less money than most big name retailers have on the market.

“It really is a sustainable practice because it gives a lot of clothes a new life. It just really sucks that a lot of fast fashion clothing like Zara or Shein end up in these places that are meant for Thrifted clothes,” said Cassiopeia Mamaradlo.

By choosing thrifted clothes, you’re reducing the demand for new clothing production, therefore meaning that fewer resources are being used and less pollution is created. It’s essentially a win-win for you and the planet. Oftentimes, a lot of these clothes that are thrown out have a lot of life left in them, and only need some appreciation for the quality they hold.

In a world where fashion trends come and go, thrifting clothing stands out as a timeless and sustainable practice. Embrace the thrill of looking for clothes all over the world, and show big corporations that style doesn’t have to harm the environment.