Hey SLOHS: Don’t Be a Cougher in Class

Sickness isn’t super. Graphic courtesy of Cleveland Clinic.

One thing has become obvious to the people at San Luis Obispo High School, especially in the mornings: it’s cold. As the fall season continues and the weather in SLO remains fickle, the ever-changing temperature changes increase the risk of sickness as people are unprepared for weather changes throughout the day. No one wants to be the person coughing their lungs out in the middle of class, so what measures can be taken to prevent a cold in these times?

“Being sick sucks because it’s hard to sleep and pay attention in class. I’d rather avoid being sick in general,” said senior Shannon Williams.

The average lowest temperature into the next week is about 54 degrees fahrenheit, but the temperatures can go as low as 45. For those who don’t get vehicular transportation to school, the chill temperatures might be enough to work up a sniffle. An obvious precautionary measure is to bundle up before leaving, wearing what makes someone comfortable and warm. But what if a cold is caught anyway? 

“Getting sick causes a lot strain on mental health and relationships while you miss school,”  said junior Leila Dragomir.

When at school, be mindful of others. Don’t be that person who sneezes on others when passing by during a passing period. Wearing a mask is always a good idea, after all it wasn’t that bad. Carry hand sanitizer and tissues, or use the ones in classrooms when they’re actually there. Other than that, drink a nice cup of tea, take medicine and stay cozy. 

The common cold can last from a week to ten days, and is nothing but a bother from all. Wash your hands, stay warm, and don’t get sick as the days get colder tigers!

Source: my.clevelandclinic.org