A Closed Campus is On It’s Way: What Will It be Like in 2026?

Flow of people leaving campus at lunch. Photo courtesy of reporter Phoebe Drazsnzak.

Students at San Luis Obispo High School enjoy a lot of lunchtime freedom. Many students choose to leave campus at lunch, to get food or eat in their cars, whilst others enjoy their on campus time. There has been talk at SLOHS about the campus becoming closed in the future, and students have a lot to say.

“I leave campus almost every day. Kids want to go get food at lunch, and sit in their car, or hang out with friends off campus. The only thing that a closed campus would do is make more kids eat the school lunch, which I personally don’t like,” said junior Kashmir Flood. 

While many students enjoy the freedom of an open campus, some see the pros to a closed campus. 

“A closed campus could allow for a more tightly knitted community, and access to more whole school activities. Change may upset some, but as time goes on people would adapt to the change,” said junior Regan James. 

A closed campus could bring more community to SLOHS. If people are forced to stay on campus, they may be more willing to attend clubs and participate in activities on campus. 

The administration has decided that starting in the 2026-27 school year, the campus policy will change. 

“Next year, [sophomores] will still be able to go off campus. However, starting in the 26-27 school year, freshmen and sophomores will not be able to go off campus. This change is currently being communicated with the incoming ninth graders,” said assistant principal Desiree Dellinger. 

These changes could leave students wondering- what’s next? Don’t worry for now, SLOHS isn’t becoming a fully closed campus anytime soon.

Enjoy the freedom while it lasts, Tigers.