Is the soothing sound of the rain worth the destruction?

Aftermath of the storms. Photo courtesy of CTE maestro Zach Roper. 

California is known for its very strange rain patterns and San Luis Obispo High School is no different. SLO’s rain can be extreme one second and then gone the next. The winter season of SLO is full of random spurts of intense rain and wind which can be a nice relief from the hot and dry rest of the year, with its soothing sound and smell. 

“I like the look of it, and I like the vibe, but I don’t like being soggy. I like being inside and seeing the rain, but I don’t like physically being in the rain,” said Junior Leila Dragomir. 

The rhythmic sound of small droplets of water slapping against your roof can be a soothing lullaby, the rain has the power to drain all productivity with the calming smell of our dry ground sucking up the rain.

“I love the rain. It smells nice, sounds nice and makes me feel just happy it’s just such a nice feeling and the air feels so crisp afterward,” said senior Olivia Cusick.

But the rain can also be very damaging, causing mudslides, floods, and can cause car accidents. The rain can also cause less serious problems like causing events to be canceled and postponed due to the heavy sheets of precipitation.

Why is it that aspects of nature that give us pause can also be possible of extreme destruction?

SLO gets rain so rarely that we should be thankful for every drop we get. 

And philosophically is give us pause.

Source: sleephealthgroup.com