The Back Gate Needs To Be Unlocked Pronto!

During a recent lunch hour, students were locked out of the back gate! Photo courtesy of senior Asia Jade Hagans.

San Luis Obispo High School students use the back gate entrance for many things. Things such as going off to lunch or meeting their parents after school. What happens to these said tigers when the gate is closed? Many unfortunate things.  

Staff members have been slacking recently when it comes to unlocking this entrance. During lunch, students have to waste precious minutes waiting for someone who will never come to open the gate. 

“It honestly sucks because I want to go off campus to get food and I sometimes get food for work like a Red Bull to give me energy throughout the day. If [the gate] is open late, then I’m going out late and I’m scared of being tardy,” said senior Maylin Ayala.

It was said by principal Rollin Dickinson that the reason the gate was unlocked after the fact was because a student had used text-a-tip. Why do students have to text-a-tip to be let out for lunch? That’s blasphemy.

A couple days ago as well, the back gate was locked after school. Everyone at that gate wouldn’t have been able to leave if it wasn’t for a teacher who just so happened to need to leave that way.

“Definitely [opening late] after school is a huge problem. Some kids have to meet their parents by Smart & Final and they might have a job that they have to get too. I have a friend that has to do that, and I know if she had to hop the fence, that’d be really hard for her,” said senior Delilah Viayra.

This is slowly becoming a problem and should be corrected before its too late. If students walk around to the other side, they will be even more late to class. If they have to walk back to the commons, they would be out of luck anyway because there’s never food left.

“I was kind of sad because it wasted my time and I had to walk back up to the commons and get food. By the time I got up there, there was no more food left,” said an anonymous senior.

Staff members have walkie talkies for a reason, it’s time we used them!