Grill Your Fishes Outside, Not Inside!

Fish is a weird dish, especially when it’s scaring at you in a dim sum restaurant in San Francisco. Photo courtesy of sophomore Aidan Field.

Many students at San Luis Obispo High School like seafood, such as fish, and cook it in their homes.

Fish can be tasty, but are they all scales and glory?

Fish is one of the main seafood items in households, but there’s always that person in the family who grills the entire fish in the house, making it reek of that disgusting fishy scent for days. 

“I don’t like that [the smell] lingers around often. We cook it a couple hours after…[prep] because when you start cooking, it’s not that bad but after it’s pretty bad,” said junior Rosemary Navaro.

Putting seasonings when grilling fish could make it smell better but never season it afterward because it can smell rotten and bizarre. 

The worst part is arguably the steam coming from the fish combined with seasonings, which can somehow smell worse than the fish itself. 

“I live in a small house and so it just gets everywhere. I have cats and they’ll smell it and they just start going crazy and it’s really annoying,” said senior Finley Mallon.

With all that combined, the foul stench may last from being left for too long in the garbage can. When opening the trash can, there is the possibility of getting blasted by the smell while trying to throw something else away.

“Let’s say I’m upstairs playing video games and someone’s cooking fish. Then like an hour later, the smell is still there and you’re like ‘oh whatever it is it’s gonna go away soon’ and then another hour later, it’s still there. That’s where it’s gonna probably start to bug me but it’s a smell so I don’t think you really could do anything about it,” said freshman Leonel Hernandez-Chupin.

It’s better to grill fish outside where the aroma can freely go and no smell will stay trapped inside the house.   

Obviously, Expressions is not afraid of smelly topics, and you shouldn’t be either!