How is president Joe Biden being received here at SLOHS?

A 2020 Joe Biden bumper sticker. Photo Courtesy of Leonardo DeTurris.

Since defeating Donald Trump in the 2020 presidential election, United States president Joe Biden’s approval ratings have been declining while consistently remaining low among younger demographics, including among those here at San Luis Obispo High School.

With issues like growing inflation, the economy, and abortion rights growing in importance to Americans, the politcal scene is filled with both anti, and pro-presidential sentiment. Expressions was curious to hear what a couple of our own SLOHS students had to say about their thoughts on Biden, and if they reflected the views of the nation.

“I do think he’s got good intentions, but every president can do more… if he can roll out as many protections for women as possible, that would be best,” said senior Jane Culbreath. 

Since the Supreme Court had overturned Roe V. Wade this past summer, there have been many progressives who are upset with Biden’s lack of action for protecting what they believe to be fundamental rights.

In addition to that, many conservatives have been critical of how Biden is handling the economy, specifically inflation, and his policies towards gun rights.

“He’s been trying to push a lot of gun bans and stuff and also trying to ban specifically gun manufacturing for private individuals and stuff and trying to put regulation on that which, in my opinion, is a big mistake,” said senior Josiah McCarley.

Regardless of party, lots of people have criticism for the president, but there are still a decent number of people who feel the president is not doing too bad a job, citing some of his accomplishments as reason.

“He passed a bill for transgender people [which was] very good of him,” said Freshman Pluto Rios.

“I think he’s done a good job of handling COVID-19,” said Culbreath.

The people of this country, as well as SLOHS students, while hardly impressed with Joe Biden, don’t necessarily feel he’s the worst.

The 2022 midterm elections arrive this November and the outlook is looking dim for Joe. FiveThirtyEight, as of 2:00pm September first, gives the democrats just a 24 percent chance of retaining both the senate, and the house this November.

Sources: fivethirtyeight.com newsweek.com cnn.com