Sorry Juniors, Spring Storms Bring State Testing Your Way

An ensemble of SBAC start times and other information everywhere the eye can reach. Collage courtesy of senior Alma Tinoco.

Students at San Luis Obispo High School have entered the Smarter Balanced Assessment week, or SBAC as many students know it. For everyone but juniors, this means a later start time or a chance to catch up on any work in a designated advisory period. While a majority of students at SLOHS reap the benefits of this week, what does state testing mean for juniors?

The SBAC uses the results of testing across the state to create state-standardized tests, as well as using results to analyze how well students are demonstrating knowledge compared to the current state standards. On a more narrow perspective, for juniors this state testing is a potential benefit as they enter their senior year and prepare to begin the college application process. 

“I don’t really see how [the SBAC] matters. I know it helps the school, but I don’t really see how it helps me,” said junior Ruby Beckett. 

California community colleges, California state universities, and some universities of California (as well as out of state colleges) use the results of SBAC testing to place incoming students into English and math college courses. In the more proximate future as juniors enter their senior year, exceeding the standard in English, math, and science awards them with eligibility for an honor cord during graduation. On top of that, some students are eligible for a state seal of biliteracy award and golden state seal merit award. 

“I didn’t like doing [the SBAC], but I’m glad I don’t have to do it again my senior year. I’m going to sleep in and maybe go on a hike,” said senior Molly Himelblau. 

For those without testing, Tuesday April 9 and Wednesday April 10 will have a first period start time at 11:32 a.m, with nutrition break beginning before that at 11:15 a.m. Thursday will follow a different schedule with an earlier first period start time of 10:47 a.m.. All schedules can be found in the most recent SLOHS Newsletter or on the SLOHS website. Friday will return to a normal schedule. 

Enjoy the late start, or good luck with state testing Tigers!

Source: slohs.slcusd.org