Here’s what you need to know about Slochella 2022

Image courtesy of reporter Leanne Leichtfuss

There hasn’t been a Slochella put on since 2019 and, as a result, many San Luis Obispo High School students-especially freshman-don’t actually know what happens at it.

Slochella is inspired by the Coachella music festival, and the main focus of the event is the music. Four bands will be performing: Palindrome, Nuke the Fridge, Georgey, and The Unique New Yorkers. After the bands perform, there will be music provided by a DJ.

“I’ve seen posters, and, like, heard people say it, but I still don’t really know what Slochella is,” said freshman Jordyn Mcnabb.

Slochella is an event happening at the San Luis Obispo practice field this Saturday. There will be music, food, and games, including cornhole. Tickets are twelve dollars without an ASB card, and ten dollars with an ASB card. Tickets can be purchased at the event, and students can bring a guest. The guest must be in high school, and, in order to bring them, students must fill out a guest form (located outside room 508) and have the form approved by Mrs. Dellinger.

“It’s the first one we’ve had in three years, and in the past it has been a really fun thing to do and we’re looking forward to continuing the tradition of it being one of the most popular things on campus,” said senior Riley Wilkerson, an ASB spirit commissioner who has helped to publicize the occasion. 

“I think it’ll be worth it [for SLO high students to go to Slochella] I think you know, there’ll be a lot of energy and, like, fun times there,” said sophomore Holly Schmitt, Georgey’s drummer. 

Schmitt is looking forward to performing along with the other members of Georgey: guitarist junior Zoe Nielsen, vocalist sophomore Sophia Campbell, and bass player Ivy Schmitt.

Slochella has been a successful event in the past, and ASB is excited to be putting it on this year after the hiatus, but it has been a lot of work to get everything ready.

“ASB is sometimes I think people don’t realize the amount of work that actually goes into it. So these guys who’ve been working on Slochella, probably for the last a month, they’ve had to contact all the DEA, all the bands; they’ve had to contact DJs…that’s not to mention just publicizing the event so we can get some people at that event,” said ASB advisor Jim Johnson.

Any Tigers who enjoy music, games, and hanging out with friends should be sure to attend; Slochella is sure to be a blast for SLOHS students.