Weekend Sports Update: Swim and Dive Athletes Break a Record!

Four swim and dive athletes broke the school record! Photo courtesy of SLOHS Athletics 

As San Luis Obispo High School students start preparing for the end of the 2023/2024 school year, Spring sports had many ups and downs but the season has officially ended. These are the latest updates for the season.

Track and Field

Track and Field traveled to Sanger on Friday, May 10, for the CIF-CS D. I Championships. The boys finished 12th and the girls finished 9th, while 33 Tigers qualified for the Master’s meet today at Buchanan. Congratulations to junior Jace Gomes for breaking the school record in the triple jump, just a quarter inch past the school record set by teammate junior Cody Johnson last week! -senior Téa Fischer

Swim and Dive

The boys traveled to Clovis West for the State Meet and set 3 new school records.  200 free relay, seniors Bobby Teigtge, Damion Nerling, Gavin Curren, and Matthew Perje broke the school record with 1:24.93.

Girls Swim sent junior Kale Burk to the State Meet where she broke the school record in the 50 freestyle. CIF ended last week with the Boys placing 61st and the Girls placing 110th. They had a great season with Boys ending up 20th in state and Girls 40th in the state. Both teams are #1 in the CCAA Mountain League. Great job wrapping up the season! -freshman Bee Balicki

Boys Volleyball

After a first-round win in CIF, Boys Volleyball lost their second-round match 0-3 to Jesuit High School from Carmicheal, CA. -freshman Sarah Kelly

Boys Golf

Boys golf finished out the season strong, finishing fourth in the CIF Central Championships. Although they don’t move on as a team, senior Jackson Stitt shot a 68, so he will be playing in the third round of CIF. We congratulate all the golfers on their performance throughout the season, and wish Jackson good luck next Wednesday! -freshman Miles Blackwell

Baseball

On Tuesday, Varsity Baseball played in the first round of the Division 2 CIF tournament against Bakersfield Christian. It was a hard-fought, close game that ended in a narrow, 4-5 loss for the Tigers despite strong efforts from everyone on the team. Senior Rowan Klisch had 2 RBIs, and senior Aidan Eagon and sophomore Landon Drenckpohl each had 1 RBI. This loss ends the season for Baseball and brings their final record to 10-19. – freshman Santiago Baltodano.– freshman Santiago Baltodano

Softball

On Wednesday our SLOHS softball girls had their first CIF game against Mission Prep. The game resulted in a 7-0 loss and officially ending the SLOHS softball season.

-sophomore Luca Petterson

Stunt

Stunt went to State last Friday. They put out their best but sadly lost 2 to 24 against Santiago High School. The stunt season is now over and most of the athletes are moving over to focusing on Cheer season. -sophomore Ruby Blackburn

Boys Tennis  

SLOHS hosted the CIF Individual Championships at SLOHS on Friday and Saturday. Senior Ian Cabrinha advanced all the way to the championship match where he won the individual championship! -sophomore Vyolet Burrus