The countdown to singer Mac DeMarco’s concert… What’s the hype about?’

The countdown to singer Mac DeMarco’s concert… Whats the hype about?’

Photo courtesy of frontiertouring.com

On the morning of February 10, San Luis Obispo High School students sat anxiously on their computers, counting down the seconds until their favorite artists’ tickets dropped. As the clock struck 10, attention in class paused, and computers all across campus were resfreshed. The chase to buy tickets was on. 

“I knew given the culture of Cal Poly and San Luis Obispo High School that it was going to be tough to get tickets, so right at 10 o’clock I was on my Chromebook ready to go,” said junior Dylan Koch. 

Mac DeMarco, a 31 year old singer-songwriter has 9.8 million monthly listeners on Spotify. SLOHS students love his music and readily await his concert in August. 

“The tickets dropped at 10. I remember people coming up to me and being like, ‘you need to buy them right away!’ So I was kind of freaking out a little bit. Mac DeMarco sounds like a really fun artist and before I bought the tickets I thought to myself, ‘this could be a fun experience if I go,’” said junior Lucy Mosely. 

You might have heard some of Mac DeMarco’s most popular songs such as “Chamber of Reflection” or “Salad Days”. 

Mac Demarco’s alternative and indie style music is not for everyone. Some criticize his music claiming that all of his songs sound the same, or that his voice is not unique. Despite this, many of his fans feel the opposite. 

“I think he’s a really unique and influential guitar player just as far as the modern era. A lot of people try to imitate him and I think that shows that he’s got something special going on” said Koch.

Mac DeMarco’s music is universally liked and appreciated among SLOHS’s student body. Students have purchased tickets seven months in advance to make sure they get to see their favorite artist live. If you haven’t already, make sure to grab a ticket before they sell out!