Student Artist Highlight: sophomores Torunn Larsen and Julianna Vigil

Photos courtesy of sophomores Juliana Vigil (left) and Torunn Larsen (right). 

Art is a very important part of San Luis Obispo High School’s culture. Many students have been excelling in art this year. 

Art teacher Michael Norton’s ART II students have been creating some of their best work with Norton’s help.  He reached out to share the artwork of two students who have been excelling in his class. 

Expressions interviewed to Sophomores Torunn Larsen and Juliana Vigil about their journey as artists and creative process. 

Expressions: What is your background in art? 

Sophomore Torunn Larsen: I’d never taken an art class until highschool, but I have always been drawing, and interested in hopefully having a career to do with art.

Sophomore Juliana Vigil: I don’t really have a background in art, other than having an interest in it since I was around 10 years old. 

Expressions: How did you get interested in art? 

Larsen: Art to me has always been a way to express myself, even if what I’m creating is not something ‘meaninful’, it is still something that you’ve created from nothing. It’s part of you that you’ve put on a piece of paper.

Vigil: I started drawing cartoon characters when I was in 3rd grade, and gradually got more interested once I had more artistic friends around 4th grade. 

Expressions: Is there anything essential to the work of an artist?

Larsen: Remember that not everything you create is going to be good or even decent, and not to be discouraged if something doesn’t turn out how you hope.

Vigil: Creativity.

Expressions: How has your practice changed over time?

Larsen: I used to not take art so seriously, but as time has gone on I began to really focus on improving. I try now to draw realistic people or things. 

Vigil: I used to draw more cartoonish and anime styles, and now stick mostly to semi-realistic or realistic. 

Expressions: Could you tell me about some of this art you did? What was the creative process? Inspiration? 

Larsen: Beginning a piece, I’ll think about the basic shape and layout of the subject as a whole. When starting to add details I’ll think about where things are in relation to each other, instead of each thing by itself.  Getting caught up in the details too early on can make things seem unproportional.

Vigil: As far as the creative process, I don’t really think about it while I’m working. I usually have an idea of what I want it to turn out like, but otherwise I figure it out while I work.

You can view more of Torum’s art on Instagram @tots_draws.