I Spy With My Little Tired Eye, An Overrated Pop Star

When is all the hype for Taylor Swift going to end? College courtesy of senior Téa Fischer.

Taylor Swift is all San Luis Obispo High School students have been talking about in recent days. From her new album, to her Eras tours, to her appearing at her boyfriend and Kansas City Chiefs football player Travis Kelce’s football games, to her winning artist of the year at the iHeartRadio Music Awards.

However, can we talk about how she’s really not that great?

“I think Taylor Swift is overrated and the antichrist,” said freshman Cole Bramer.

At the very least, she is overrated.

“Her fame became too much and the fans, while they’re valid for appreciating someone and their talent, [they] became too involved with her,” said an anonymous senior.

Why do so many people like her and her music?

“I like her mainly [because of] her romance songs because it talks about her feelings after her breakups,” said sophomore Sadie Fischer.

Isn’t that a lot of female artists? Billie Eilish, Olivia Rodrigo, Lana Del Rey, SZA, Ariana Grande, Beyoncé, Adele, Madonna are all artists that don’t just have romance songs, but also breakup songs. What makes Swift so special?

It’s simply because she has no competition. There’s not that many female artists releasing albums right now, which gives her the home field advantage. Not to mention most of them aren’t on tour. However, that doesn’t mean she has to be all everyone talks about. 

It’s getting redundant, just like her songs. 

Swift’s songs have the same theme of “breaking up with my boyfriend.”

“All she does is get a boyfriend and gets dumped every time and writes a song that anyone can write,” said Bramer.

Her voice is also the same, there’s nothing new added to it. What happened to real music?

As mentioned, she writes her own songs and many like her because of that. However, that’s a lot of artists. Anyone in this day and age can pick up a pencil and write their own song. If Dwayne Johnson can write his own song, many can too.

During the Superbowl many women started liking football because of Swift. The attention she brought was helping women become more invested in the sport.

“If anything it’s good for the NFL and brings more attention to football, which is good,” said sophomore Jackson Garrett.

You watch football for football. Not to see a pop star cheer on her boyfriend. If I wanted to see that, I would have just watched a rom-com.

“Liking football only because of her dating Travis Kelce is [baloney], honestly that’s not a reason to like football [nor is it] a reason to watch football. As a huge football fan myself, it really makes me mad knowing people will only care and watch if someone like Swift gets involved somehow,” said the anonymous senior.

Swift has become the biggest pop star of Gen Z, just like Madonna became the biggest pop star of Gen X. There are few good songs, but overall she’s mediocre.

Maybe SLOHS should focus on our band playing at football games and other artists in general instead of being hyper-fixated on one specific person. 

Sources: people.com, cbsnews.com, hfvoyager.com

View Comments (1)