New AAPI Club Seeks to Shine More Spotlight on SLOHS’ Asian Students

Photo courtesy of sophomore Erika Spargo

Starting this 2021-2022 school year, San Luis Obispo High School’s Asian American and Pacific Islander club has become one of popular acclaim among students. 

The club’s vice president senior Nivashini Saravanakumar wants to bring more attention to the  diversity of Asian students on SLOHS’ campus.

“We hope to bring visibility and preserve the cultures of Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders at SLOHS. Our club’s goal is to unite, provide a voice, educate, and offer a safe space for people of the AAPI community as well as other individuals. Overall, we hope to give the community a chance to network and make friends with the rest of the AAPI presence in SLOHS,” said Saravanakumar.

The club is currently hoping to organize a fundraising event, in hopes of contributing to organizations that support AAPI people.

“By raising money through fundraisers, AAPI Club will donate to organizations such as Victim Memorial Funds which supports the families of victims of anti-Asian racism and violence. Donations can go to community restoration organizations like the Asian Pacific Fund, Think!Chinatown, or community enrichment organizations like Asian Mental Health Collective, Asian American Journalists Association, and Gold House. We also hope to use the money from fundraisers for club use such as putting together festivals or activities for everyone to enjoy,” Saravanakumar said.

Fundraising events are the perfect opportunities for any students to get volunteer hours and the opportunity to contribute.

“During our future club festivals and activities, we intend to offer volunteer opportunities available for everyone that can be done virtually or physically in SLO. One volunteer organization that we’re interested in is eGirl Power’s AAPI Letter Writing Campaigns. This campaign offers opportunities for students to write letters that support the teaching of AAPI history in schools to combat Asian hate,” Saravanakumar said.

SLOHS’ AAPI club meets every two Wednesdays in Ms. Prochello’s classroom, room P5 during lunch. 

Come and join for the chance to learn about Asian cultures and hear about what you can do to contribute!