The 500 Bathroom needs some help

The 500 building at San Luis Obispo High School has needed help for quite some time. Whether it is outdated rooms or just an overall weird look, no one enjoys that building.

One of the worst things about it is the restrooms.

Never would a person think that a school with so many great things can’t even fix a sink in one of the most used bathrooms throughout the entire campus.

“The bathroom is unsanitary and needs new appliances. It lingers with the smell of old chili,” said freshman jack Culbreath.

Walking in, most smell something that seems like a mixture of every single bodily fluid mixed together and thrown into a pile of rotten meat. It may seem dramatic but the students in this bathroom are absolutely careless. They have destroyed this restroom and have no respect for the school custodians. 

The worst part about this is the lack of privacy. Rarely is the stall open because the urinals have no separating walls. Therefore, the middle urinal would be more useful if it was just removed all together.  The question is, was this money meant to help with this specific bathroom? Well, according to the official ballot question, it was. 

“To improve the quality of education; construct/renovate classrooms, facilities, labs, and infrastructure; update career education programs for job readiness; replace leaky roofs; improve student access to computers and technology; upgrade/replace outdated electrical, plumbing, and sewer systems; make health, safety, and energy efficiency improvements; shall San Luis Coastal Unified School District issue $177 million of bonds at legal interest rates, have an independent citizens’ oversight committee, and use NO money for administrative salaries or be taken by the state?”

This was the question every voter of Measure D was asked. Now, focus on some important parts of this. “Upgrade/replace outdated electrical, plumbing, and sewer systems,” and “construct/renovate classrooms, facilities, labs, and infrastructure”. Now, it could not be more clear that this exists purely to increase and strengthen the school district. Containing 16 classrooms and the Tiger News Network studio, it would be expected that this is the top priority. However, for some reason, the people in charge decided otherwise. 

This is however just a first world problem. Students at SLOHS are very lucky to have a district that can even afford to do renovations like this. So in the grand scheme of everything. Conditions could be much worse. There are schools where the 500 bathrooms would be considered clean and nice compared to others. Frustrating, no doubt. But not the end of the world. 

Source Measure D info