Here are the Best chick flicks for the girl’s night of your life

Photo illustration courtesy of senior Eden Lerner

Throughout the pandemic lives of San Luis Obispo high school students, movies have come and gone, but what movies are the absolute best for a girl’s night in?

There is always a classic Barbie movie if you are feeling nostalgic, although that is taking it a bit far.

The “Hannah Montana Movie” never fails to hit the spot after a long summer day in June, but that also can sometimes be too much to handle with some less than adequate acting skills.

So what even classifies a chick flick you may ask?

According to the perfect primary source Urban Dictionary, a chick flick is an “A film that indulges in the hopes and dreams of women and/or girls. A film that has a happy, fuzzy, ridiculously unrealistic ending.” Now, these magnificent movies aren’t all rainbows and fuzzy endings. A lot of the time they are made to be devastating and emotional, like “The Notebook,” which is a classic and perfect choice for a fresh post-breakup meltdown. 

Expressions decided to ask some gals from SLOHS about their top 5-10 chick flicks that they have signed onto religiously as an ultimate girls’ night in movie.

The number one movie that popped up on most lists was “Mamma Mia!” This is an absolute banger for movies to watch with friends, and combining the classic musical and actress Merill Streep is all you could ask for.

Another that showed great potential for a great night was “10 things I hate about you.” This movie has young actor Heath Ledger playing the main heartthrob, and there is nothing more to add.

However, so far these movies have been pretty predictable. If what you desire is a surprise, a great suggestion would be “50 first dates” starring a young Drew Barry Moore and Adam Sandler. 

Coming in at number one is “Love actually.” This movie has endless potential for joy, sadness, frustration, and comedy all wrapped into one great bow. If you have not blessed your eyes with this classic chick flick, please give yourself the honor of watching this all-time favorite.