Crime Podcasts: Made for all the Crime Junkies Out There

Photo courtesy of Crime Junkie Podcast Website and Info.

Throughout quarantine, the rise in popularity of Crime junkie podcasts grew in San Luis Obispo, especially with SLO High school students.

Casefleet.com recently wrote about podcasts showing the popularity of True crime, explaining, “Some of the most popular true-crime podcasts have amassed huge fanbases of people who are enthralled by stories of real-life murder and mayhem and want to know every little detail, even the gory ones (and there are plenty of those).”

Expressions interviewed true-crime podcast junkie senior Nayah Holmes and a few other students from SLOHS about their favorite podcast, episode, and more. 

Expressions: Why do you believe that these podcasts are so addictive to listen to?

Senior Nayah Holmes: “Crime podcasts are so addicting in my opinion because they are so disturbing and unheard of. Being able to know why and how people commit crimes is fascinating and so scary. Sometimes when I hear about how a body has been cut up or how long the victim has been watched I get goosebumps.”

Expressions: “What crime junkie podcast are you most fond of, and of that podcast what has been the most intriguing crime you have listened to.”

Freshman Nathaniel Kraker: I personally love podcasts. I listen to podcasts almost every night before I go to bed. I listen to Radiolab, Joe Rogan’s show, and Ted talk. It’s funny I started listening to podcasts when I was about 9 years old and I still do it to this day.  I did the math and about 1,000 podcasts.

Holmes: “I mostly listen to cold case podcasts where there are no persons of interest or people who have been charged with the crime, but my favorite one has been Crime Junkie hosted by Ashley Flowers. I like this one because each episode is a news story and most stories I have never heard about, also the host does a great job of keeping them long enough to give all the important information but short enough where I do not lose interest.” 

Freshman Gabriel Limon: I listen to the Dead meat podcast, they review horror movies and go over their history. I like podcasts because you can just lay down, close your eyes, and relax while listening.

Expressions: “On average how many episodes do you listen to in one sitting, or when is your favorite time to listen to a crime junkie podcast?”

Holmes: “I listen to podcasts mostly when I drive, workout, or hike alone so however long those activities are is how long I normally listen to podcasts. I will listen to them any time of day but try to avoid nighttime so I don’t stay up with thoughts of being decapitated or abducted. 

Through these interviews Expressions, readers can easily admire the addictive and exciting nature of Crime Junkie Podcasts.

Some favorite podcasts that can be suggested would be Crime Junkie, hosted by Ashley Flowers and Brit Prawat, as well as Morbid hosted by Ash and Aleina.

These podcasts will keep you occupied and interested for hours while staying inside for quarantine.