Shining the Spotlight on SLOHS Clubs

Shining the Spotlight on SLOHS Clubs

There are many clubs at SLOHS, but here’s a few of them. Graphic courtesy of senior Ki Jouet.

San Luis Obispo High School is not only the host of various sports teams and events, but school clubs as well. These groups not only give space to specific student interests, but can also provide community and new life opportunities. 

Check out this Expressions interview with some of SLOHS’ club members to find out more!

Expressions: What club(s) are you a part of? Why did you join?

Senior Sierra Sharp: I’m a part of Chess club, Art club, and Book club. 

Senior Camilo Baltodano: I’m in Mock Trial because I want to be a lawyer when I grow up. I’m also in Harvard Model Congress, which means we go to a conference every year in January, and it’s run by Harvard, so it’s super fun. I’m also in the National Honor Society.

Sophomore Graham Teitge: I’m president of Latin club and a part of Mock Trial and Harvard Model Congress. I joined Latin club because we get to go on field trips. 

Senior Chiara Thomas: I’m in the Friends of the Library club. I joined because multiple of my friends and teachers invited me here. It seems like a nice environment to do creative things and also encourages people to read and learn.

Expressions: What is your favorite part about being in a club?

Sharp: Meeting new people and having something to do at lunch.

Baltodano: Definitely feeling like part of a community. I’ve gotten to meet some really cool people in these clubs. It’s always a fun time and it gives me stuff to do outside of school.

Teitge: I really like that it’s something to do at lunch.

Expressions: Do you think being in a school club is an important part of the high school experience?

Sharp: Yes, It helps you explore different interests and meet new people.

Baltodano: I do. I would encourage everyone to at least get involved in one so you can find people who are like minded. It makes school a lot better and more enjoyable.

Teitge: I definitely think it’s important because you get to meet new people and, if you don’t participate, what do you do?

Thomas: I think so, because it allows you to meet new people. I’ve made new friends and spent more time with people that I probably wouldn’t have if I just sat in the same place for lunch every day.

Expressions: What are your opinions on the clubs at SLOHS? Should there be more? Should there be any changes?

Sharp: I think that there’s a lot of opportunities for more clubs and students should know that you can start up a club on their own.

Baltodano: I think there’s a great amount of clubs. I mean, if people have new ideas, that would be awesome. But other than that, I think we do a really good job of fostering different ideas and extracurricular interests here.

Teitge: I think we have a perfect amount of clubs. 

Expressions: What would you say to someone who is thinking of joining a club?

Sharp: You should definitely join.

Baltodano: Go for it. Do what you want to do. You have four years in high school, so you can always try out different clubs each year.

Teitge: I’d say you definitely should because it’s an exciting new thing to try. Most clubs are once a week at lunch, so it’s not a big commitment.

Thomas: Go for it. You won’t know if you like it if you don’t try it. And if you don’t you don’t have to go again.

Clubs are a great way to enrich your time in high school, so consider joining one Tigers!