Front, Back, Inward, Reverse. These SLOHS Students Are Putting the Dive in Swim and Dive

Diving Tigers are a key part of the SLOHS Swim and Dive Team.. Illustration courtesy of Design Editor Owen Blackwell.

The sun shined bright on the concrete tarmac. Diving Tigers got ready to take flight, climbing the steel steps as swimmers did warm up laps below. One of the smallest sports at San Luis Obispo High School, less that twenty students are a part of the dive team. Expressions spoke to several of them after the recent meet to understand their training, competitions, and why more students should try out the sport. 

Dive is a unique sport because not a lot of students are on the team. The small size builds camaraderie and creates a fun environment. 

“On larger sports teams it’s hard to get to know everybody but since we only have 10 or 12 people you can talk to everybody. We’re really close because you have to meet everybody every day. My favorite part about diving is hanging out on the pool deck in between dives, joking around with everybody on the team. Everybody’s super nice and accepting, it’s so fun,” said senior Bryce Peterson.

SLOHS’s dive team places a strong emphasis on mastering the fundamentals of diving. The team prioritizes body positioning and safety in their training regimen, ensuring that all members understand proper techniques to avoid injury. By focusing on these foundational skills, the team lays a strong groundwork for more advanced dives and a successful season.

“We train a lot of the basics, making sure our body positioning is good and, making sure when we jump we don’t die,” said senior Justin Dolezal.

Some students are drawn to the team because they are inspired by family members who were also divers. 

“My aunt was a diver and I thought diving would be cool, so last year I joined the team,” said sophomore Kierra Beck.

Other students who do gymnastics, often find diving to be a natural extension of their athletic abilities. Both sports require a high degree of body control, balance, and precision, and gymnasts often excel at these skills.

“I did trampoline gymnastics beforehand, and then legendary coach Ernstrom called me up and said ‘dude, I want you on my team, come out and try it,’ next thing you know it’s four years later,” said Dolezal.

The team is a great place for students to build lasting friendships, and have fun, while mastering the art of diving. If students want to go see the team in action the senior night and next home meet is on April 6.