Kanye expresses his admiration for Hitler and Nazis. What do his fans at SLOHS think?

Kanye West has been singing less and making offensive comments toward Jewish people instead. Photo collage courtesy of sophomore Addi Woods. 

With the recent controversy surrounding American rapper Kanye West, San Luis Obispo High School fans have had to reevaluate their admiration of West. 

West recently made antisemitic comments, stating “Jewish People, Forgive Hitler.”  

“His comments are very dangerous and very specifically anti-Semitic and harmful. His speech is directly leading to harm to Jewish communities. I don’t really care if you listen to Kanye but you shouldn’t be supporting what he says,” said freshman Aidan Field. 

West appeared on the weekly talk show The Alex Jones Show on December 1 where he continuously expressed his admiration for Hitler and the Nazis. Later that night West was permanently banned from Twitter after posting a photo of a Nazi swastika inside the Star of David. 

“Kanye doesn’t realize the power he has over young minds, and how influential he is. So when he says these things, he’s influencing young and impressionable minds to think this way because their hero says they should,” said sophomore Liza Flushman.  

Many former West fans used to make an excuse for West’s questionable actions by stating that he “made ‘Graduation’”, which was West’s highly-praised third studio album. 

“I think that Kanye fans have to realize that the things Kanye has been saying are very disrespectful towards groups of people and that people shouldn’t defend him based on music that he has made in the past,” said sophomore Lily Niven. 

Kanye’s recent actions have been very offensive, specifically to Jewish people, and fans of the rapper should question their admiration for Kanye. 

Sources: rollingstone.com, vox.com